‘We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.’ ~Frederick Keonig
Every day there should be moments, sometimes almost imperceptible, that give us an inner calm. A secret time that makes our day that little bit better, allows us to move forward with grace and a smile and lifts our mood. I think of them as secret pockets of daily happiness, necessary and ever changing.
These are “secret” because they belong to me, moments that I experience in my own way.
It is these experiences, these moments (or longer periods of time) that count for so much yet cost nothing. They can often be fleeting but are lasting.
This is a peek into my box of secret pockets of happiness that make my day go a little better (in no particular order).
- The smell of freshly mown grass;
- A walk on a beach;
- Hearing children’s’ laughter;
- Being creative.
- Watching clouds;
- Writing in my journal;
- Waking up on Christmas morning;
- The aroma of freshly baked bread;
- 2pm on a Monday in July, the start of Wimbledon fortnight.
- Hearing bird song in my garden;
- Black and white photographs (they seem to hold a mystery);
- Pausing and being grateful for what I have;
- A starry night;
- Seeing my family smile and sharing their laughter.
The list changes over time but serves to remind me that when all is said and done we create the life we have, the life we love and live; how we do that is down to us, as unique individuals, and today is as good a day as any to take steps to make the changes that I want to see.
What a wonderful world!!! Have a great day.
I leave you with your thoughts.
Until next time.